Google Authorship is a great way to create your own personal presence on the web along with your website. While Google Authorship is automatic for Blogger.com blogs, others who are on different platforms such as WordPress find it difficult to enable Google Authorship for their website.
Since Iocreed is on WordPress I also faced this problem once. And then you need to do email verification and then add Google+ profile URL to your website with “rel=author”. All of this becomes a headache when you are a newbie or sometimes for pro bloggers also ( ).
But here’s a simple solution to all the problems of Google Authorship for WordPress users: Jetpack. Jetpack is a very well-known WordPress plugin which comes with too many functionalities and features (almost 20+ plugins combined in one).
Jetpack’s version 2.5 has a new feature / functionality which enables you to connect your Website to your Google+ profile directly from within WordPress dashboard and you need not to do all that hard coding to enable Google Authorship for your website.
Some of the features of connecting your Google+ profile with your WordPress website are as under:
- Your Google+ profile picture and your Google+ name would be displayed on every post.
- A follow button would be added along with your profile pic and name so that people can follow and circle you on Google+
- A link would be added automatically to your Google+ profile under Contributor to section.
- Verification code including rel=author will be added to every post on your website to confirm that you are the author of the post. (thus enablig Authorship).
- While connecting you would be provided with an option for Over The Air (OTA) installation of WordPress app for you Android device.
Not wasting much time let’s start away with the tutorial
Connect your Google+ profile and enable Google Authorship
- First of all download and install Jetpack for WordPress from here and activate it: Download Jetpack
- Now go to WP Dashboard >> Jetpack.
- Scroll down to the section which says Google+ profile and click on Activate button.
- Head to WP Dashboard >> Settings >> Sharing.
- Click the Sign In button with the G+ logo on it.
- A pop-up box will open up. Sign in with your Google account and click on Accept button. You would be provided with an option for Over The Air installation of WordPress app for Android. If you want to you can choose to install it or simply click on Cancel / No Thanks button.
- Once your Google profile gets connected the Sharing page will get reloaded and you’ll see your Name, Google+ profile picture and a confirmation that you are connected.
- You are all done. From now on, below every post you’ll see your Google+ profile name and image and follow button along with the sharing icons.
Disconnecting Google+ profile
Later on if you want to disconnect your Google+ profile from your website. Then follow the steps below.
- Go to Settings >> Sharing.
- Find your Google+ profile name and image
- Click the x button (see the image above). And click confirm when it asks for confirmation for disconnecting your Google+ profile.
- You have successfully disconnected your Google+ profile from your website.
I got rid of one more plugin (you too can if you are using any) after connecting my Google+ profile and enabling Authorship using Jetpack.
Hope that you must have enjoyed this article. Now what are you waiting for go and enable Authorship markup on your WordPress blog.